Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Life is Beautiful

This morning over coffee Chris was telling me that story line of the Italian movie 'Life is Beautiful'. Without giving the story away, I'll just say that it's a tale of love and compassion for life. Part of the story takes place in a concentration camp, and..well, you'll just have to watch the movie for yourself.

As Chris was re-living the story, and as he got to the part about the Germans and the Jews, I realized that Oh My God- this was happening in the 1940's, just 70 years ago, when my grandparents were old enough to remember. People were dying in mass quantities, not because of some rampant drug resistant infection, but at the hands of fellow humans! Here in America, it wasn't for another 23 years that the 24th amendment abolished the pole tax giving black people same same voting rights as the white people.

And today, in November of 2008, open on my dining room table is the Commemorative Issue of 'Time Magazine'. On the cover is the face of Barack Obama, our next American president. I can't relate my feelings to words. All that I can say is that I'm in awe.

Whether Democrat, Republican or Tea Party, Jew, Catholic or Mormon or Muslim, the fact is that as a human race, we are evolving for the better. Thank God! That is, thank which ever version of God that you hold in your heart.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Well most of the human race is evolving - there's that one guy...

Sarah G said...

Yeah, but we're working on him...he just doesn't know it yet.

Bill Cobabe said...

One of my favorite movies... I weep like a child at the memory of it... I can't watch it often, though because it leaves me sooo emotionally drained.

I also have a little trouble with the fact that the one who saves the day is the American and he's driving a tank and he's a man. Of course it's dramatic and full of all that masculinity stuff... But I don't know... Does that make any sense?

I rejoice with you and peace-loving people all over the world in the hope and joy that came out of the election! What a great day for people everywhere!