Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Code Rainbow

At 7:00 this morning, which yes, is way too early to be alive, I am woken to a knocking at my front door. I cover my head in pillows and ignore the noise.

More knocking, getting louder. Very serious sounding knocking. 7:00 a.m., hmm, not normal at all, maybe I should go see. Random thoughts: do they let the missionaries out this early? What about the witnesses? Confusion.

Louder knocking. I'm up. Pants, good idea.

A sneaky peek out the window, it's the police. Ohh Boy, did I pay that ticket? Do they put warrants out for that? Maybe I should brush my teeth. It would be embarrassing to be arrested with morning breath.

I open the door and stare. Clean and crispy, very tall and thick, walky-talky and a gun, ohh boy. He says "Good Morning. I'm Looking for a Sarah Galli"

ohh boy. "Thats me" I answer.

"Is there someone in Minneapolis that you haven't spoken to in a while that might be worried about you?" Cop asks.

"My Mom?" Why would I immediately say that? I didn't even have to think about it- faster than the funny bone response.

"Bingo." He says. Straight face. "She's very worried about you and would like for you to call her."

More random thoughts: Mom called the cops on me? I'm 31 years old right? Wouldn't it have been easier to just call me?

"May I ask a personal question?" Cop asks.

Yes, I shower at night. -still a random thought- inside my head.

Me "Yes.."

Cop "Is your Mother....a couple bubbles off..?"

Me "Like a couple Dozen."

He Smiles. oh a smile- thank God.

"Well, you should call her, she's very worried." Smiling cop.

"O.k." I say. "...did you by chance talk to her?"

"No, the dispatch did, they're calling it 'Code Rainbow'. Made me promise to stop by and check on you first thing so that she stops calling."

Code Rainbow...Code Crazy.

He hands me his card. Officer Brubaker. Good guy. He turns and walks away.

"Officer" I call. He turns to face me. "You do good work."

He smiles.

Will I see him around town? Will he remember me? Code Rainbow? It's too small a town....geeze, how far do I need to move to get away from my family?