Thursday, July 24, 2008

O.k., I know that some of you are thinking: Wow, she's a blogging fool- and that's kinda foolish. But in my defense, I'm sick. And I have had a lot, and I'm talking a lot of time on my hands. I've heard NPR loop for the past 3 days, that's how much time I'm talking about. No more Garrison Keeler's Writer's Almanac.

I have, however managed to leave the house at least once a day, if only to make small talk with the coffee slinger. I haven't missed an afternoon caffeine run yet, it would be a drag to go through caffeine withdrawal on top of being sickly, and anyway, I don't find my afternoon cup of coffee satisfying if it's not delivered in a to-go cup. But see, this is where I'm stumped by dilemma. I'm going to admit to something kinda drastic here, ready? I'm a firm believer in sanitariums for the sickly. Those of you who've worked in the customer service industry should be nodding your heads right now. There's nothing like being handed a palm full a coins by someone who's also gripping a snot rag and sporting beads of sweat in the crease of their upper lip. It's even more memorable when the coins are clammy with little remnants of moistness on them.(mumm,I know you want to borrow my laptop to check your stock options right now). So the question is: do I balance my sanity by exposing my snottiness to what appears to be a healthy, relatively happy barista or baristo, (is there such a thing as a baristo? because today's coffee slinger was male) just for the sake of my own selfish need of human interaction and the to-go cup? I wonder if he was thinking what I would be thinking if I were in his shoes. I won't elaborate on that thought, but I will say that my intake form does read that if you're feeling ill due to sickness you're not responsible for the cancellation fee. I wish there were bubble boy coffee slingers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And between pondering deep thoughts like the above, I've been passing my time by reading other people's blogs. Some good, some very bad. Again, I vow that I will never stop seeing my mental therapist.

So that's the deal. Please trust that I will not gain 50 pounds and leave my laptop only for more mac and cheese-and caffeine, as a result of a newly acquired love affair with the world of blogging. Soon I will have a life again. But until then, keep reading me, because I'd hate to think that I'm only making myself laugh-- maybe I should back off on the Robitussin.

Here, this will make you laugh: click here

2 comments:

Jack said...

I think it's broista.

Unknown said...

Being a barista, here is my view. If Sarah came into my cafe clutching her snot rag and spewing germs everywhere, it would be my job to give her whatever beverage she requests to make her happy and in whatever kind of cup that would make her beverage enjoyable to her. If I were to have a problem with the germ factor, well than, I'm in the wrong line of work...maybe I'd need to take up fruit tree pruning for a profession. I could say a lot about the to-go cup issue, but I'd have to get political and I don't do politics so I will refrain.