Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving Story





These are the thanks that Chris and I received this Thanksgiving holiday. Four loud, peeing, pooping, biting, beautiful little puppies, along with their mother.

They were on the side of I-80 on our way back from Thanksgiving in Salt Lake. The mom was barking at the trucks, including us because we drove the big @$$ truck to take advantage of the gas price- just like the environmentalists we claim to be. We pulled over and backed up to see if she was an apparition caused by too much hormone enhanced turkey. Two hours later we had collected four pups and the mom. Thank god for our gas guzzling truck because the front seat is big enough to carry all of the puppies, the mom and me. Contrary to our vehicle of choice, we keep our trashiness under wraps by allowing our animals first class amenities: the front seat, and that rest of our lunch.

The Galli estate is now a puppy estate and this parenting thing is giving me circles under my eyes.

Luckily, they all seem to be healthy, although the mother was pretty sketched out. Her milk was dried up and I assume that by the looks of the five of them, it had been dry for a while.

She left today with a new family and hasn't looked back. The couple who took her called me to say that they had to coax her into the house because it seems that she has never been inside of one. They made her 'safe zone' their bed- she's liven in style after one hard life. The babies are doing great, I'm going to keep them for a week or so to make sure that they're good and fat, and then they're out of here- just in time to break my heart.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Holy cow, I mean dog! That's a great story. You guys are heroes! Ohhh you must be so tired! Did you and Chris pinky swear that you wouldn't keep any puppies? And poor Dyggs - he must be so compromised.